Logo

Logo

Tuesday 31 December 2019

2019: A Funny Old Year


So 2019 is very nearly over and I don't know what to make of it. I'd say 2018 was worse because it felt long whereas 2019 was pretty short but 2019 hasn't exactly been a picnic for me either.

It started off great when I won a competition from the Five Who Fans to devise an outline for a Classic Doctor Who Parody and to be fair, the first half was alright. I managed to finish my final year of uni mostly unscathed. It was stressful, yes but I remember it fondly, especially with new friends I made on the way. Easter was lovely too, as always. 

It was only when it was summer when things started to go pear-shaped. After graduating from uni, my plan was to find a job to raise money for a master's degree in scriptwriting. However, things took a sharp turn for the stressful when I was made to realise that such plans are impossible without taking a gap year. So I did exactly that and tears were shed. As you may know, I don't deal with change very well and it was a lot to take in. But once I had a think, I accepted it and to be fair, it came with pros. I was finally able to rejoin my old drama group in my hometown and now I'm rehearsing for a show with them. Then again, I am reconsidering my original plan to do my master's in Bournemouth after an attempt to get a refund that took longer than it should have.

As for my job hunting, it was and still is mostly unsuccessful but I managed to get a part-time job as a kitchen porter in a local pub (which is getting increasingly sparse) and after two years of attempting, I managed to volunteer at a charity shop. I also started writing up the memoirs of a family friend which I have yet to finish. If I had any New Year's resolution, it would definitely be to find a stable source of income and I'm working on that now. Luckily, I've been writing film reviews and my blogs more frequently to build up a portfolio which is always good and I cannot thank you guys enough for the feedback this year.

My annual traditions remained unscathed such as my annual holiday to Way-Hey-Mouth and my holiday timetable which is a relief and I managed to add some more traditions such as watching summer/beach episodes of my favourite shows in the week leading up to the holiday. And my social life has been mostly stable (save for the summer) with uni friends in the first half and my drama group in the second half which is always handy. Sadly, my mental health has been fluctuating from stress and loneliness to peace which is worrying. It doesn't help that after leaving Chroma Church upon leaving Leicester, I have struggled to find a replacement, especially after I started working on Sundays. And my love life has once again been non-existent but at least I finally realised that Tinder is not good for me and I've taken a more social approach to things. 

As for my thoughts on what the rest of the world is up to, I never thought I'd be more ashamed of my country than I was for Brexit but boy have I been proven wrong as the General Election earlier this month completely derailed it. It was the most I've been engaged in politics and as of now, I'm going back to being apolitical because the whole system is broken!

I was, however, pleased to see that my best friends are doing well with two of them getting engaged this year. I am glad that, despite my 2019 being half rubbish, at least my friends had a good year.

So, looking forward, I have no idea what's in store for me in 2020. I doubt it will be easy as my grandma's cancer has returned, I have no clear plan for the future and my country's falling to pieces but who knows? I thought 2019 would be my year and it wasn't so I don't know if 2020 will be the same. I do have resolutions that I intend to keep. Here they are:

  1. Get a stable job
  2. Progress my career as a film critic
  3. Improve my social life, ideally by hanging out with people my own age for a change
  4. Find someone who makes me happy (and is single) and gain the confidence I need to ask her out
Anyway, have a happy new year everyone! May your 2020 be prosperous and not the least bit stressful. Until the next time, fare thee well good people of the internet!

Meme of the Day:
Image result for new year memes 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment