Logo

Logo

Thursday 2 January 2020

How I Ended My 2019 (and started my 2020)

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOR LITTLE WOMEN INBOUND)


I'm Blue da-ba-de-da-ba-dai!


So as mentioned before, 2019 has been a crazy year for me but fortunately, it stuck the landing. My December has been a pretty great one overall with a solid Christmas. So what did I do to combat the post-Christmas blues? Quite a lot!

Firstly, I went to my Dad's via my older sister's. Some context: my dad has remarried and remained so for nearly 13 years and since then, he and my stepmother had three kids on top of my stepmother's daughter whom he adopted. So as you can imagine, that family plus myself plus my older sister and her boyfriend equal a busy house. My brothers are very energetic and for Christmas, they got indoor snowballs so as you can imagine, it was complete pandemonium! From my dad for Christmas, I got a new Nintendo DS (after my previous one wore out and became unplayable) and lucky for me, I still had a fair few lego games on me!

After returning home to my mum and stepdad (aren't reconstituted families wonderful?), his two children came round and still are at the time of writing. I managed to get Instagram (joelmole42 for those who wish to follow me) but already ran into trouble with it after I followed to many people at once. It now thinks I'm a robot and until such time as I can prove otherwise, I will limit my activities.

For New Year's Eve, we, alongside my Aunt-of-Honour and her daughter, went to see the latest adaptation of Little Women. My full thoughts on the film can be seen here but suffice to say, I loved it! It was progressive in all the best ways and everything felt so natural and real! But I can also say that it changed my outlook for the better. There is a character in it called Laurie who is in love with the protagonist Jo March. However, as she's a strong independent woman, she declines him. Though he was upset for a while, he eventually moved on and ended up marrying Jo's sister Amy (who in this version, has her relationship with Laurie fully developed to the point where it doesn't feel like a rebound).

This stood out to me because, to my shame, I have an unfortunate habit of falling in love with the wrong people whether it's because they've already found someone else, they said no or both. Don't worry, I've had enough sense to keep it to myself (unless they were single but even then I was too cowardly to say anything for the most part) and Laurie's attitude to rejection has finally made me see sense and since then, I've decided to wipe my list clean so to speak and unless I have very good reason to do otherwise, I've decided to only pursue romance with people I will meet and get on with in the future. It's not quite my new year's resolution but more of a life one. There's no point in getting hung up on women I have no chance with. It's definitely the mark of a good film if it changes my life for the better.

After Little Women, we played games (both of which I curiously came second in) and the new year began. On New Year's Day, I went to rehearsals and did something not unheard of but weird for me in the process: I missed Doctor Who. I managed to watch it as soon as I came back and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a marked improvement over the previous lacklustre season and the twist ending got me excited after a Doctor Who episode for the first time in a long time. It may not be the best opening but it's a promising one! I hope part 2 lives up the hype on Sunday!

After that, I finally decided to take down my Christmas decorations (the ones in my room anyway). I know I'm still within the 12 Days of Christmas but with New Year's Day over and done with, I'm finally free of the Christmas spirit. I also changed my multicoloured lights to a light blue as that's the colour I associate with January.

And that's it! Here's to a great (or anything other than catastrophic) 2020!

Meme of the Day:

No comments:

Post a Comment