Logo

Logo

Friday 27 December 2019

CHRISTMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS! (21/12/2019-27/12/2019)

Image may contain: Joel Newton, smiling, text and close-up
No, I'm not covering up my large forehead... what are you on about?!
Okay... sorry for the lack of blogs lately! I've been so busy with Christmas lately that I only just now had the time to write one.

And boy has it been busy?! I might do a breakdown of all the stuff I've done over the holiday season! 

Christmas Build-Up/Star Wars (21-23rd December)

Most of it has been focussed on Star Wars. After finally booking the tickets for Monday 23rd December, I watched The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi over the weekend in preparation. They both held up though weirdly, The Force Awakens got worse yet The Last Jedi got better with the rewatch.

Onto the main event, I was excited but cautiously so for The Rise of Skywalker and I managed to watch it in an indie theatre. I went with my stepdad, as was tradition, and he definitely enjoyed it more than I did. My full review is here but suffices to say, the terribly rushed pacing killed it for me despite at least being somewhat entertained. I was cross at it for a while but then I was reminded that Star Wars is like sex and pizza, no matter how bad it is, it's fundamentally enjoyable. 

Christmas Eve (24th December)

We do Christmas Eve differently in our family. As it's on the same date as my stepdad's birthday, we celebrate that instead so he doesn't feel overshadowed. As such it was a good birthday and I managed to help out in any way I can. We had a buffet and my extended family (including my grandparents, one of my uncles and my aunt-of-honour who is no way related or married to any of our family but as my mum's best friend, she is basically that) came round. It was an overall nice time but I need to remind myself never to discuss trans rights again as that always creates a toxic environment, no matter who it's with and if they agree with you. It's a sad state but it's what it is. 

Fortunately, I was able to do some Christmas stuff including watching my two favourite Christmas Specials: Doctor Who: 'A Christmas Carol' and The Muppet Christmas Carol. Both give me the Christmas feels and prepare me for Christmas despite taking vastly different approaches to the story. I was also pleased to see that I finished The Muppet Christmas Carol on midnight, right when it was Christmas Day! Speaking of which...

Christmas Day (25th December)

Christmas Day ran very smoothly but there are many of you who don't know my annual traditions. We start off with seeing what 'Santa' gave us. Despite the fact that all of us know that Santa wasn't real, we still do it because it's fun and it's nice to believe in him regardless. I got a LOT of food myself plus some things to help me out with my stress including stress balls (with faces!) and a book on mindfulness that encourages me to be like Yoda. I also got a VHS copy of the original Cats stage musical... as well as a 4K/Blu-Ray copy of Alita: Battle Angel from my uncle... people know that I have neither of those right? 

Soon after that, my sister went to church so we waited for her so we can do presents. I know I should have gone myself as a Christian but none of the churches in my home town are any good. Note to self: find a good church. When she got back, we did presents. I got exactly what I needed with updates to my favourite superhero franchises, a copy of Doctor Who: 'The Tenth Planet' and a Star Wars long-sleeved top that not only has my favourite Star Wars movie on it, The Empire Strikes Back but is now my new official winter pyjama top! Everyone was also pleased with what I got them which is good! 

Soon, we went to my grandparents for Christmas Dinner (where the conversation was much nicer and less... political... and my older sister dropped some cauliflower cheesy in my drink. She's basically like Miranda Hart) and we did, even more, presents afterwards. I got new shoes (which feel like I'm walking on cushions), Doctor Who collectables and DVDs. A good haul this year. 

We later played some games such as charades and 'Neighbours'. Charades is a game that I'm sort of good at. I always pick difficult films (etc.) and perform them in odd ways that means they take forever to guess what I'm trying to do. Still, that's part of the fun! 

Finally, we went home and in lieu of a Doctor Who Christmas special (since Chris Chibnall is refusing to write any), we instead get one for Gavin & Stacey. I personally love the show for its charming characters, positive tone and relatable stories and this is no different. Despite being off-air for 11 years, it's like they never left and the writing is a strong as ever (though that cliffhanger certainly left me wanting more... and singing 'Fairytale of New York' uncensored wasn't a wise move considering that f****t is the LGBT equivalent of the N-word but I'll let it slide as it didn't feel malicious). 

Boxing Day and Beyond (26/12/2019-27/12/2019)

Boxing Day was a very lollopy day since we're all tired from Christmas. I broke into my new shoes and they worked a treat and I managed to watch X-Men: Dark Phoenix, an okay if crushingly underwhelming film. 

The biggest news that day was not very nice at all. It turns out some smeghead stole my older sister's Christmas presents from her car. We're doing what we can to a) replace it, b) find the items and c) make her feel better. I feel like my job is the latter since I feel that's all I really can do at the moment.

Which brings me to today. I had to get presents for my brothers and my older sister and I split for my Dad's side of the family for financial reasons (though this is the last time we're doing it as we're both adults). I managed to get t-shirts for the three of them and finally finish my Star Wars reviews by reviewing The Rise of Skywalker today. 



And that's really it. It's been a hectic week with many ups and downs so it's time to face the rest of 2019. With that in mind, the next blog will be a year-end retrospective. A rewind if you will! Until then, fare thee well good people of the internet!

Meme of the Day:
Image may contain: 1 person, meme and text

1 comment:

  1. "Star Wars is like sex and pizza, no matter how bad it is, it's fundamentally enjoyable" - Amazing 😂

    Sounds like you had a great Christmas! If you are looking for a Church in the Melksham area, try Queensway Chappel on Pembroke Road. I believe Linda is also a member.

    ReplyDelete