Logo

Logo

Friday 14 August 2015

Smart Phones: Our new evil overlords

OK the title made me sound like a conspiracy nut but here me out! What I'm saying is that mobile phones, particularly smart phones, have somewhat diminished, perhaps killed, social interaction. This is because of one big reason... it's overused

I've noticed in public places such as restaurants that instead of talking face to face, they just text other people! This, I find, is actually kind of rude because they seem to be disregarding the people around them. I myself do not have a phone so I feel like a victim to this but it isn't just texting or checking Facebook, music plays a part to this too.

Now, I love music don't get me wrong but good grief there's a time and a place to play it! When you're on your own in a safe environment, it's fine. But when you're a) with other people and b) walking near a road then it's ridiculous. Why? Because they have headphones on which means that all they can hear is music. Not only is that unsociable but potentially dangerous as you can get so immersed you may not be able to notice a busy road and you might end up as a person pizza.

The sad thing is, people use them everywhere now. In cinemas where people are trying to watch the film and  in social gatherings where you really should be talking to people. The latter is especially annoying for people like me.

Like I said, I don't have a phone so imagine how annoying it must be when I want to talk to someone but they can't here me because they have headphones on. Or an even worse situation when they flat out ignore me by texting or checking social media sites. I'm having a hard time making conversations as it is! I don't need phones to make it worse! Heck even if I did have a phone I'll probably be the same or even worse!

What I think people should do is that use phones for their primary purpose only in public and using it for other stuff in private areas such as home. Texting and messaging should only be for emergencies and private places. Maybe then social interaction can rise again but then again, I can't control 6 billion people...

The reason why phones are our new evil overlords is because we almost seem enslaved to it. Perhaps we're living in an age where we go on cyberspace more than meatspace. Even I'm not entirely innocent because I have a laptop which has a similar effect. Bottom line, if we're all getting addicted to these things, at the rate we're going, we're all going to be Cybermen in the future...

And that concludes this thought from an autistic mind. What do you think about this? Let me know in the comments below, be sure to like my Facebook page 'Joel Mole' for more blogs and share this around to spread the word. Thank you for reading this and until the next time: fare thee well! 






No comments:

Post a Comment