Logo

Logo

Wednesday 5 August 2015

Concentration and La-La Land

One of the more peculiar and more frustrating aspects of autism, at least for me, is my lack of concentration. Often I would zone out and daydream about various different things. It can be argued that's what people do anyway but in my case, I think there is a reason. 

I often find that when I'm not doing anything in situations such as walking, lectures etc. my mind sort of wonders and I don't even realise it until a few minutes later. This was much worse when I was younger where the times in which I fazed out of reality were much longer even to the points where I missed entire lectures. Where I zoned out to be different as well as it was an actual place called 'La-La Land.' Now it's different as I imagine myself as Doctor Who fighting monsters old and new. 

As I implied, it's improving as I am more aware of my daydreaming but this still causes problems. During lectures where I don't do anything but listen I struggle to pay attention and at times, I miss key details. This may also affect my future as because of this, I won't be able to drive as I may get distracted and drive into a wall or something. There are times where I can zone out, particularly when I'm on my own during my free time and when I want to be on my own. Even when I am taking a stroll, zoning out makes it more peaceful (though I have to pay attention when crossing the road).

A weird side effect of this is talking to myself. Often when I am alone I am free to speak my mind as the things in my head seem begging to go out. I often talk quietly to myself though there were times, to my embarrassment, where other people heard me. I know other people do this but more loudly and whilst that can be annoying, I can't blame them since I do the same.

So what are the causes of this? As I said, as I am inactive, my brain just sort of goes into screensaver a bit like a computer when that is inactive as it plays flashy images in my mind. Also there are triggers. When someone says something film related for example (particularly in film studies), my mind daydreams about me in the film industry as that is where I want to work when I am older. Doctor Who, my #1 obsession, is also a primary daydream so any mention of that may set me off as well. Honestly, it's like my brain is trying to make excuses to daydream as it seems to love fantasy more than reality.

And now a new section I would like to call:

How can you help people like me? - I would suggest teaching people to become self-aware of this so that they would daydream less. Also if they do daydream in an important situation (e.g. a lesson), and you'll know this because they'll stare blankly into space, get them back to reality by saying their name. I usually react to my name so that certainly helps. If they're alone daydreaming or if they're daydreaming in a situation that doesn't require them to concentrate, let them. Also the things we daydream can be quite imaginative so encourage them to write it down (provided it's appropriate of course).

And that concludes this thought from an autistic mind. What do you think about this? Let me know in the comments below, be sure to like my Facebook page 'Joel Mole' for more blogs and share this around to spread the word. Thank you for reading this and until the next time: fare thee well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment