Logo

Logo

Monday 3 August 2015

Introduction to autism

As an autistic, I tend to have my own separate opinion on different subject matters such as the media, the current lifestyle and other stuff such as politics.
Hopefully this blog will convey those views in some form or another as I hope that people will understand what goes through our heads.

For starters, I will explain what autism is for those of you readers who don't have a clue what I'm on about. Autism, according to the NHS, is a condition that 'affects social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour.' Basically it's a way of saying that our brain functions a different way to others.
Now what's fascinating about autism is that it is on a spectrum. This means that it is likely that no two autistic people are the same. For example, one autistic person can function well into society whilst others have a completely different mind-set to 'normal' people. What is normal is up for debate which I will probably discuss another time.

I myself am pretty high functioning but I wasn't always like this. When I was younger I was completely lost in my own world. This meant that I was too 'different' and 'weird' to play with the other children and it wasn't until Year 4 in primary school that I made some proper friends. Some of that awkwardness remains to this day as I feel too shy to talk to certain people and I can be brutally honest which has led to fall outs in the past. Now I am back to reality (for the most part) but I still consider myself socially awkward as I can't even hold a conversation to save my life.

Another issue is that I get anxious at certain situations that wouldn’t normally get a reaction from people. For example, I hate sudden loud noises such as balloons popping, small explosions such as in pantomimes and fire alarms, especially when I expect them to happen. I especially get anxious in busy situations which is why I hate playing sports such as football and places such as London.  I also hate talking to people on the phone since I can't normally hear them properly and I usually get it wrong. Then there's my concentration. I often daydream in situations when I don't do anything and this happens during bus journeys, walking and unfortunately lectures.

That's not to say it's all bad. The honesty can sometimes be good as we (meaning autistics) are sincere in our opinions and if that opinion is positive, it makes it all the more meaningful. When I do daydream it can be quite imaginative which unlocks infinite potential in the creative medium which I'm sure is similar to other people in that spectrum. I and a few other people are also very knowledgeable in certain subjects. For example, I almost religiously follow the TV show 'Doctor Who' and I can usually recite all the episodes from 2005 to the present day in order. It is also important to say that since it has become such a part of me that if a cure came around, I would not dare take it as I cannot imagine myself without it.

So overall, whilst autism is problematic, it is also unique in the way we think and feel which often clashes with social norms. I hope that, with this blog, I can shed some light on these views so that people who know people with autism but do not know how to think like them can understand them more.


2 comments:

  1. Hey mate! It's Connor (from tutor) :D This sounds like an awesome idea and I will try my best to read it! And I only spotted a couple of punctuation errors! ;) Good luck with this though - keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete