Logo

Logo

Friday 21 August 2015

GIRL ALERT!: The awkward aspects to courting and dating

DISCLAIMER: Please note that I'm primarily referring to males here since I am one myself and I don't have much of a clue how women are in this kind of thing. However, I'm not ruling women out as this can just as easily apply to them whilst also giving a good insight as to how an awkward guy like me functions in the dating game. Also these are MY experiences since I'm not psychic therefore I do not fully understand how other people behave though I will address it.

When it comes to courting and dating , guys can act very differently. They can be confident, they can be creepy, they can be obsessed they can be awkward and shy or they are either  not keen or they cannot understand the concept of dating. I fit into the awkward category as I'm sure lots of other people like me are (autistic or otherwise).

Because of this, I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to the actual dating part as I was and still am too shy to admit to liking a girl. I have done in the past but that was only once or twice. It's actually weird since I have varying degrees of confidence when it comes to fessing up my feelings to someone. This is based on how likely the person I like is likely to say yes. If they are out of my league, I am likely to be rendered speechless since they are too amazing for me and they are the most likely kind of girl to say no. Thus, I will be too shy to even talk to them. On the flip-side, If I know someone well and actually have a lot of common with them, I build more confidence because I can actually see us together. But then again, it depends on my confidence alone.

Because I'm shy, not only will I be unable to tell the person I like that I like them, but also almost everyone else. This is because they are likely to tell said person without my permission which will lead to embarrassing situations (as it has done in the past numerous times). These moments are embarrassing yet strangely enough, my mind is conflicted because a part of me wanted them to know.

Then there's the issue of actually dating and I'll talk about awkward people (including women) in general because like I said, I'm not too experienced so this is purely a theory based on what I've seen in reality and media. Usually there are a lot of obstacles that an awkward person will experience whilst dating. This includes the first date (which is awkward for everyone to be fair) where guy like me without sufficient conversation skills and the habit of daydreaming may suffer awkward silences. Then there's physical contact such as kissing, hugging and sexual activity. Honestly physical contact depends on the person. They either want to jump straight into the physical stuff or take it slow and gradually start to do these things. I'm sort of in the latter...ish. Whilst I am a hugger and open to kissing (provided that the other person is willing), sex is nerve wracking to me and I'll likely never do it until I get married (as other sensible people do).

Like I said though, this is only my experience as well as people similar to me. Other people are lucky enough to be confidant (and at times TOO confident which worries me) whilst some other people prefer to be single (which is great, more power to you!). As for me and others like me, well, It's time to bring back a certain section:

How can you help people like me? (This is for the awkward people who aren't confident) - Give them reason to be confident. Like RPG games such as World of Warcraft, experience hopefully builds strength and confidence so they will be less nervous. During the dating game, give them advice on how to sail through it without causing many arguments and premature break-ups. During a break-up (a tough time for many) console them, let them be sad but at the same time remind them on what they still have.

Dating still continues to fascinate me with its complexities and numerous stages on how to establish and maintain a relationship as well as how to cope once that relationship is over. There are also some puzzling questions such as why men are expected to ask out women instead of the other way around and why most women prefer older men/why most men prefer younger women. Oh well, I'm sure you audience members have the answer.

And that concludes this thought from an autistic mind. What do you think about this? Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments below, be sure to like my Facebook page 'Joel Mole' for more blogs and share this around to spread the word. Thank you for reading this and until the next time: fare thee well! 




No comments:

Post a Comment