Logo

Logo

Friday 4 September 2015

Music is the rhythm of the night (The night! Oh yeah! The Rhythm of the night!)

You know I think it's time I did something positive for once! One of my favourite things in life, besides film, is music. I don't quite know why but certain melodies just hit me right in the feels. Well certain types of music... ok I'll explain.

Like many people, I have my own taste in music. In my case, my favourite genre of music is classical or instrumental. I'm guessing that's because, with no lyrics to tell you how to feel, I can just experience these emotions for myself. In the Hall of the Mountain King for example is very grand and epic whilst Canon in D is very soothing and relaxing (and I'm not ashamed to say that I imagine myself playing the violin when hearing that even though I can't play it). Even though I won't remember nor name all of it, I will feel calm whenever I hear it.

However my favourite artist is Daft Punk. It has similar reasons as to why I love classical music as it makes me feel calm and relaxed but it does it in its own way. Since I don't consider myself 'normal', I'm a sucker for the weird and wonderful and Daft Punk can be described as exactly that. The fact that they dress up as robots coupled with synth, sci-fi style music makes them weird yet I am drawn into their own little world!

In fact I love instrumental music so much that a part of me wants to make my own. I'm guessing, like most musicians, it's because I have certain emotions that I cannot release in any other way but sadly, unlike those musicians, I cannot play a single instrument (mostly because of patience). But when I can release them, boy is it emotionally fulfilling!

I don't mind current pop music so long as it's either fun or memorable for the right reasons as I do enjoy the likes of Taylor Swift and Lana Del Rey. However, that doesn't mean that I like all types of music as I don't like R & B for their song content, country music for their age specific style and slow music like Sam Smith for being boring. But I understand the love for them because everyone has their tastes.

But back to music making you feel calm. I'd imagine that other autistic people, like me, feel calm when they listen to their favourite music. I remember liking 'We all stand together' by Paul McCartney from Rupert Bear a lot because that calmed me down no matter how I felt. My guess is, like Daft Punk and classical music today, it just draws me in to another world entirely and it helps me escape the difficult nature of reality.

Maybe that's one way to calm an autistic child. If they are distressed, have them listen to calm and soothing music to see how they would react. Maybe they enjoy the same method of escapism as I do. Maybe as they get older they can learn to play an instrument (if they have the patience to) as they can channel their emotions through said instrument. Whatever it is, music is great and everyone, autistic or otherwise, should listen to it at some point in their lives.


And that concludes this thought from an autistic mind. What do you think about this? Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments below, be sure to like my Facebook page 'Joel Mole' for more blogs and share this around to spread the word. Thank you for reading this and until the next time: fare thee well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment