Logo

Logo

Monday 28 September 2015

BANG! AHHHHH! (I hate loud noises)

I've noticed I haven't actually done anything about autism for a while. Don't get me wrong, I like saying what I think about society but it's about time I taught you something else. Namely, how much I hate loud noises. In fact, I'm terrified of them!

These range from balloons popping, small explosions, gunfire, lightning, champagne corks, fire alarms, jump scares in horror films etc. All of these things give me the heebie jeebies and they pretty much sum up all of my fears. The reason why this is, I think is because of how much it disturbs the peace. There I am, happy in my own little world and then BANG! Something shocks me out of it whether it's a balloon at a party or a fire alarm in lessons, it just catches me by surprise.

Yet the odd thing is, I fear them the most when I expect them. This is definitely the case with balloons, especially with little kids because they have a greater chance of popping. I think it's because that loud noises scare me so much, I dread them when they come. Much like how an arachnophobics is scared that a spider is going to get them or something. This is the same for horror movies (especially since jump scares are apparently more common in them) and pantomimes (because the Fairy Godmother loves to summon explosions for some reason). 

You know once upon a time, any loud noises distressed me. I used to go around wearing earmuffs for crying out loud! (They didn't work but hey ho!). Whilst it isn't as severe now it was a huge problem because like I said, it disturbed my peace and quiet and I didn't like it. In fact longer loud noises still stress me out, such as babies and kids screaming around.

I doubt I'm alone in this. Not that I know whether or not this is true but I'm sure other autistic people hate loud noises as much as I do. Perhaps they hate it even more depending on where they are in the spectrum! Regardless it's always been a thing that has distressed me and I'm sure people like me. Speaking of people like me...

How can you help people like me? - If such loud noises or loud environments occur, find a 'happy place' for them. I suggest you find a quiet room away from all the noise with lighting and music appropriate to their needs. Alternatively, if it’s in a theatre or a party, take them outside or give them earplugs (something far more effective that earmuffs) so they can be less distressed about the noise. Also don't tell them when a loud bang is coming, surprise is better than dread in my experience. However if they know it's coming and get distressed about it, tell them to cover their ears and close their eyes or even leave the area for a quieter place (as mentioned above). 

Overall, loud noises suck for us autistic people but it is avoidable so long as you know where to go and what to do.



And that concludes this thought from an autistic mind. What do you think about this? Do you have any questions? Let me know in the comments below, be sure to like my Facebook page 'Joel Mole' for more blogs and share this around to spread the word. Thank you for reading this and until the next time: fare thee well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment